Skip to main content

Corpus Christi Music Teachers Association Records

 Collection
Identifier: Coll -246
June 2019 was the date of the first donation of this organization’s records and consists of 16 scrapbooks dating from 1951 to 2011, a leadership manual, 2008-2010, and additional photographs.

Dates

  • 1951 - 2019
  • Agent Relation: 2019 June 18

Conditions Governing Access

Collection is open for research use.

Conditions Governing Use

This material is made available for use in research, teaching, and private study, pursuant to U.S. Copyright law. The user assumes full responsibility for any use of the materials, including but not limited to taking precautions against infringement of copyright and respecting the publication rights of reproduced materials. All rights are reserved and retained regardless of current or future development or laws that may apply to fair use standards. Any materials used should be fully credited with their source according to the example given in the Preferred Citation note. Requests for assistance with citations and images of publication quality should be directed to specialcollections@tamucc.edu

Extent

3 Linear Feet : 3 bankers boxes

Overview

The Corpus Christi Music Teachers Association Records organized in 1951 with the objectives of stimulating its members to a greater efficiency in the teaching of music, encouraging and promoting the cause of good music, and fostering fraternity and good fellowship in the music profession. The records consist of scrapbooks and a leadership manual which contain program recitals, newspaper clippings of events, membership rosters, photographs of members and the history and financial information of the association from its beginning in 1951 to 2011.

Biographical / Historical

In August of 1951, Mrs. Parrie James, Mrs. C.H. Roberts, and Mrs. C. N. Wylie met with Mrs. J. M. Sewell, in her home, to discuss the organization of Corpus Christi music teachers. Mrs. Sewell took the lead, having served as the president of the Music Teachers Association of Dallas. The women met with Rabbi Wolf to hear his ideas on the subject. The first organized meeting was in October in the North Hall of the Y.M.C.A. with music teachers who has responded to the invitation. They named the organization, “Corpus Christi Music Teachers Association” and an advisory board was appointed. On November 3, 1951, the members attended a fish dinner at Joe’ Yen’s restaurant and officers were elected.

Pearle Sewell was elected as the first president. Growing up her home was a ranch in West Texas where a piano was provided for her to learn and study music. She had six brothers on the isolated ranch. She graduated from Mary Hardin Baylor College and continued her studies at the American Conservatory in Chicago. In 1966 the association established in Mrs. Sewell’s honor an annual scholarship for a worthy music student.

The association is affiliated with the Texas Music Teachers Association and the Music Teachers National Association. Membership is made up of private and college teachers: members are instructive of wind, string, keyboard instruments, and voice. In 1975 the association became a member of the Corpus Christi Arts Council. Individual members participate in symphony guild and art and science museum projects in addition to other cultural activities in the community.

Title
Corpus Christi Music Teachers Association Records
Status
Completed
Author
Lori K Atkins
Date
2018-06-21
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English

Repository Details

Part of the Special Collections and Archives, Mary and Jeff Bell Library, Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi Repository

Contact:
6300 Ocean Dr.
Unit 5702
Corpus Christi TX 78412 United States
361-825-4500
361-825-5973 (Fax)