Skip to main content

Ward Island Deeds and Documents

 File — Multiple Containers
Identifier: Coll-77
The collection is housed in two small document boxes and includes Ward Island maps, deeds, mineral leases, newspaper clippings, mechanic and transfer liens and correspondence pertaining to these documents. Anita Eisenhauer’s Texas Historical Marker application is included.

Dates

  • 1926 - 1973

Language of Materials

English

Conditions Governing Access

The collection is open for research

Extent

0.5 Linear Feet

Overview

Ward Island is a small body of land between Corpus Christi Bay and Oso Bay and is part of the city of Corpus Christi. Ward Island was named for developer John C. Ward who bought the property in 1892 to create a resort community. An economic depression prevented Ward from his quest, but the island retained his name. A Naval Air Station and radar training facility was built on Ward Island during World War II. After the war in 1947 the Naval Air Technical Training Center was closed. It then became a center for higher education. This collection holds deed records from years 1891 to 1973 and the application for a Texas Historical Marker.

Biographical / Historical

Originally called Island 'A', This 258-acre peninsula was later named for land developer John C. Ward who obtained the island in 1892. Plans to develop the island into an exclusive resort community were crushed by a depression in 1893, but Ward Island became a popular hunting and fishing site. W. E. James and Herman Anderson purchased the land in 1909. Tourist business remained here until the 1940s. During World War II, Ward Island was acquired by the U.S. Navy for the establishment of a radar station and training base commissioned in July 1942, the base provided advanced training to Navy, Marine, Coast Guard and Royal Canadian Air Force Personnel. In 1943 the facility was renamed Naval Air Technical Training Center and included 87 main buildings such as barracks, classrooms, an administrative building, mess hall, library, and chapel for more than three years this base operated as the NAWS only aviation electronic training school graduating more than 10,000 technicians.

Declared surplus by the Navy, the base was closed in October 1947, that year it became the site of the university of Corpus Christi, which later developed into Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi. Taken from the Nueces County Historical Ward Island Marker

Arrangement

The collection is organized chronically in folders.

Processing Information

Ann Hodges organized and processed the collection in 2018. Lori Atkins created the finding aid in June of 2020.

Title
Ward Island Deeds and Documents
Subtitle
A Guide
Status
In Progress
Date
October 16, 2018
Description rules
dacs
Language of description
English

Repository Details

Part of the Special Collections and Archives, Mary and Jeff Bell Library, Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi Repository

Contact:
6300 Ocean Dr.
Unit 5702
Corpus Christi TX 78412 United States
361-825-4500
361-825-5973 (Fax)