Mayor Gabe Lozano Papers
- Gabe Lozano Sr. (1909-1984) (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Conditions Governing Use
0.3 Linear Feet
Biographical / Historical
Lozano served as the President of the Corpus Christi chapter of the League of United Latin American Citizens, and was local co-chairman for the 1952 national conference which was held in Corpus Christi. His activities and interests led him to hold memberships in The Lion’s Club, The Sierra Club International, 39ers Citizens Alert, Sunset Optimist Club, Seratoma Noon Club, Amigos de Mexico, International Good Neighbor Council, Buccaneer Commission, Corpus Christi Chamber of Commerce and Board of Directors, and Board of Directors of the Corpus Christi Tourist Bureau and Advertising Club. He was a busy man.
Lozano served seven terms as city commissioner and in 1969, he was elected Mayor Pro Tem and served until 1971. He was the first Mexican American to serve in this capacity in Corpus Christi. When Mayor Jason Luby resigned in 1979 to run for Congress, Lozano was tapped again and became the first Mexican American Mayor of Corpus Christi. He passed away in 1984 at Spohn Shoreline Hospital of congestive heart failure.
This small collection offers a glimpse into Gabe Lozano’s life but it is centered around his political activities. A pioneer just like his father, Lozano served the people of Corpus Christi rigorously throughout his life to improve conditions in the city. This collection opens a window on what that consisted of in daily life and the people he met and helped along the way.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
- Black -- History
- Corpus Christi Chamber of Commerce
- Governor William Clements (1917-2011)
- Hispanic Americans
- Independence Day (U.S.)
- International Toastmasters Club
- Joan Crawford (190?-1977)
- League of United Latin American Citizens
- Muscular Dystrophy Association
- National Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day
- National Secretaries Association
- Pan American Golf Association
- President Jimmy Carter (1924-)
- Senator Rogers Kelley (1902-1982)
- Vicente Lozano (1879–1949)
- Guide to Mayor Gabe Lozano Papers
- Eric Christensen
- Description rules
- Language of description
- Edition statement
Part of the Special Collections and Archives, Mary and Jeff Bell Library, Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi Repository
6300 Ocean Dr.
Corpus Christi TX 78412 United States