Frantz, Joseph B., Dr. , 1917-1993
Found in 2 Collections and/or Records:
Joe B. Frantz Book Collection on Texas and Mexico History
XIT Ranch Photo Scrapbook
The XIT Ranch was a massive cattle ranch covering ten counties in the Texas Panhandle. It was owned by a syndicate led by Charles and John Farwell and funded by British investors. The Texas Legislation appropriated the land to build a new state courthouse in Austin after the original one burned. The ranch operated from 1885 to 1912 and at its peak ran 150,000 head of cattle per year. The photographs are dated from 1898 to 1909 and depict ranch life on the XIT Ranch.